Life's short but regret is not. Do what makes you happy before it's all over!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Charming Notes

I'm currently reading Making a Literary Life by Carolyn See. I'm only a few chapters in but I must say that I'm enjoying it. I'll probably finish it.

In the book, Ms. See discusses the importance of writing 1,000 words per day, five days a week for the rest of your life. Her reasons, among others, are: 1) Five days a week makes it seem as if you're working which can placate the naysayers and 2) It fosters momentum and momentum is like gold!

I completely agree with those two reasons. If being a writer is what you want to do, as opposed to cleaning houses or being a doctor or a life guard, then you have to do it! Any other profession requires practice and consistency so why would writing be any different? You got it, Ms. See! I'm on board with 1,000 words, five days a week!

Later in the book she discusses writing a charming note to someone you admire, five days a week for the rest of your life. This is where I took a pause...

I understand her reasoning behind it. It can bring joy to the writer/director/publisher etc that you choose to languish your affection on and it can possibly get your name out in the industry. The thing that bothers me about this is me. I have the discipline to write 1,000 words per day because I really want to make writing my life. I can split my writing between short stories, screen writing, blogging and my own personal rantings (my personal fav), but I'm not so sure that I can come up with hundreds of people whose contributions I admire. Also, I'd worry about coming off desperate or pitiful. The book says that you are not to ask for anything, only to express how their work has enriched your life in some way.

Dammit!

I've recently made a promise to myself that I was going to live in such a way that doesn't leave regret and since I may regret not doing something for the sole reason of questioning my own dedication, I'm going to go ahead and do it. Dammit...

I can only thing of about ten people that I'd write a note to off the top of my head. I guess I better get reading so I can find some people to admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment