Life's short but regret is not. Do what makes you happy before it's all over!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Everyone has Passion, Not Everyone Pursues It

I've loved to write for as long as I can remember. I entertain a wild and uninhibited imagination while keeping my real life extremely reserved. Creating stories has always been an outlet for releasing some of the things that swirl around my head without actually having to step out 'for real'. I have spent the last few weeks contemplating stepping out and, with much encouragement from my husband, I've decided to step outside of my comfort zone and move towards finishing the two stories that I have been playing with. This blog is to document and share my journey towards getting my work published. I appreciate you coming along, I'm going to need people to celebrate with when I attain my goal!

I stayed up until about 3 am this morning researching the NY Times Bestseller List and the authors that hold the honor of a spot on it. Stephanie Meyer is the author of the Twighlight Sagas. She was a stay-at-home mom of 3 who had fallen into the monotony of motherhood. She woke up from a dream one night and was unable to go back to sleep. She had come up with the characters that would soon become the stars of her stories. Three months later (YES just 3 months!) she was finished with her 1st book! She would take care of her kids and her household during the day and stay up late at night writing. Five months later she was a published author and the rest is history.

J.K. Rawlings is the author of the seven Harry Potter books. She was a single mother on welfare and after a 4 hour delay on a train, she came up with the characters that would soon become the stars of her multi-million dollar stories. It took her five years to finish her first book but soon after that, she became the world's best selling author...EVER!

These women are just two examples of people who had no formal training as writers but had the passion to step out with a story that they believed in. Why can't we all do that?

Well... I believe that we can! I believe that everyone has a passion inside of them and the difference between truly successful people and those that are just living is whether we are following what our soul is telling us to do. How many people are floating through life surpressing what makes them who they are? Telling themselves that the desire that's burning inside of them is silly, unattainable and not worth entertaining? I understand all about that because, until about 2 weeks ago, I was one of them. I believed that a nine-to-five that wasn't paying me what I was worth was better and more 'secure' than stepping out and spending my life following my own personal passion. The truth is, my job is holding me back from my passion because when I'm there, I'm not making progress.

So, to put it plainly, I've decided to change my life. The first place I started was with my thinking. I had to believe this stuff that I'm saying and the best way for me was to read the stories of people who started out where I am now and have ended up where I want to go. After your thinking changes, you can take the steps needed to actually see things manifest. I'm so excited and proud of myself for 'getting the lead out' and finally moving forward! And I thank you for coming along for the ride :)

I'm going to make it a habit to leave you with tidbits of wisdom that I've picked up during my journey and here is my first and favorite: TO BE CONTENT WITH LESS IS SINFUL- Jack Canfield

Let's change the world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment