Life's short but regret is not. Do what makes you happy before it's all over!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

And it came to me like an epiphany

I had an epiphany yesterday while at work.

Before I go into that let me first give you a little background on my career path up until now. I have held quite an interesting bundle of jobs. I have been a kiosk coffee pourer, a card swiper at a gym, a shoe store supervisor (yes, I was Al Bundy), a retail manager, a bank supervisor and now I spend my nights working as a biller at a transportation company.

A few months ago my company came to me and said that they would be taking my job away and sending it to a centralized location. According to them I had two options; I could either be laid off or I could follow my job to Dayton, OH. What?? Not the best two options that I've ever heard but in an attempt to be open to new opportunities and have guaranteed work my family and I packed up our SUV and drove over 2,000 miles from sunny southern California to cold, dreary Ohio.

We've been here for two months and I do the same thing every night... type. I sit in front of two computer screens and enter the billing information for accounts that give us freight to deliver. I have to admit that it isn't the most invigorating career but I learned to accept it as a means to help support my family. And even though I don't exactly LOVE my job, I sit quietly in my cubicle and complete my job with as much perfection as I can.

Which leads me to the events of last night. My supervisor, lets call her Fawn, came up behind me and asked me to follow her to a room where my union representative was waiting. Anyone who's ever had a job knows that this is probably not going to end well for me. After missing a few days of work due to a broken car (poor Betsie didn't like driving that far only to freeze outside at night) I was informed that there was some 'concern' over my absences. With my job in California my sick time refreshed on the first of the year but here it's not until June. That's right, 6 months without any time off and I had accumulated two unexcused absences in less than 2 months. I was also made aware of the fact that our manager in the corporate offices had been attempting to get me fired under a 90 day probationary rule which turns out does not pertain to me. Fortunately for me (frown) Fawn was so on my side that she convinced our manager to let me off with a verbal warning... (more frowning)

Time for the epiphany!!! I just uprooted my entire family and followed a job 3/4 of the way across the nation and they can fire me just...like...that! What am I doing? I talk all of the time about writing a book but I don't make time to write. I dream all of the time about being happy and successful doing something that I love yet I keep making these jobs more important. This is officially the beginning of making things in my life happen instead of letting things in life happen to me!

I've learned from listening to people who've achieved success that you have to identify your goals, write them down and make them known so here goes: I want to write a book that inspires people to ask questions of themselves, I want to self publish that book and offer it on my website and I want to gain a following of loyal readers who I can inspire and who inspire me. Thank you for reading and I appreciate your feedback. I look forward to you helping me stay true to my goals and keeping me honest in my journey.

"You will never find time for anything, you must make it" Charles Buxton

No comments:

Post a Comment